The difference between pity and true forgiveness.

 The difference between pity and true forgiveness.



We walk around every day - full of opinions and judgments about the world and the supposed others in it. We criticise and judge, in the attempt to make us feel better about our place in it all. Underneath this we know in our core that the void that is there cannot be filled by putting others down in order to make ourselves feel better, and yet it is all we know. 


When we offer another support, we assume that this desire to help comes from a place of good intention. We never for a moment check out the validity of this. If we did, we would see something that we do not want to. We would see that in our movement towards helping them we are being as selfish as if we were not helping them at all. 


“Why?” I hear you ask. “That makes no sense!?” 


If we were to truly follow thought back to its root, we would see that its movement comes not from an unattached movement of love but from the desire to make ourselves feel better about the situation, or thoughts, or feelings that it is causing in us. 

“They are in pain...I must help” is the movement but at the root of this, is it the thought “I don’t like them in pain and it makes me feel uncomfortable so I must try and fix it.”?

In an attempt to not reveal these underlying feelings and thoughts the thought structure covers them over with thoughts of “the other” and their supposed needs. The thought “I will make it all better” in truth has an undertone of “because I need to”. 


Why might we ask if we are brave enough? 

The answer would be “Because if I do not, I will feel bad and we can’t have that”. 

This flows naturally on to “Well, I must do something about that then so that I can avoid any possible negative feelings by being the good person that I believe myself to be. That will fix it!” says thought. 


Never in our society are we asked to look at these movements. Not in school, not in college, not even in university! Exploration of thought! Dangerous stuff!! We might see something we don’t like. Better to stay well clear. I will focus all my energy on others. That will keep me safe. 


The time is coming when it won’t be safe and it will be exposed for what it really is. It can’t hide for much longer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you really be nobody?

Selfishness IS the only movement of thought

Being rather than understanding and knowing